Blättern Sie in unserem Image Prospekt

schliessen
Raum für Emotionen
Zur deutschen Version wechselnSwitch to English versionSchakel naar de Nederlandse versieZměnit na česká verze
 

RSS offer Viechtach region

 

Locations in Viechtach region

Quick search

Holiday planner

Collected contents

No contents in holiday planner

Image brochure

Weather in Viechtach

Viechtach
Thursday, 11/21/2019

Cloudy
Temperature 6°C
Cloudy
chance of rain30%
wind speed6 km/h

News from Viechtach region

  • Keine Einträge
    In diesem Channel sind keine Einträge vorhanden [read more]

To website <b>"www.arberland-bayerischer-wald.de"</b> To website <b>"www.bayerischer-wald.de"</b>

You are here: Culture » Sights » Castles
Add to holiday planner

Castles

Castle Neunussberg

On a hilltop 696 m above sea level, the main tower of the castle rises above the romantic Regen valley. The castle premises with the still preserved parts give an almost enchanted impression. The castle was built in 1309 by Konrad der Nussberger. Together with the knights of Degenberg, the knights of Nussberg ranked among the most influential dynasties in the Bavarian Forest until they were defeated in the so-called Böckler war.

The small castle chapel St. Michael is at the foot of the former donjon. Built in 1350 by Albrecht der Nussberger, the chapel has a baroque high altar very much worth seeing, late-medieval frescoes and large 18th century reverse glass paintings with stations of the cross. Some parts of the curtain wall and the castle well have also survived the stormy and rough years of the Middle Ages.

The owner of the ruined castle of Neunußberg is the “Bayerischer Wald-Vereins Sektion Viechtach e.V.”.

Open and accessible throughout the year.

 

Castle Kollnburg

There once was a mysterious knight that at night appeared to the residents of the castle. According to his words, he had been the owner of the castle around the year 1400 and had buried a treasure under the third step of the stone stairs.

Despite intensive searches, this treasure of the Counts of Bogen – who ruled over the entire Middle Bavarian Forest until 1242 – has never been found. Legend has it that it is still somewhere in the castle. From time to time a brave fellow spends the night in the castle to ask the mysterious knight about the treasure.

The castle of Kollnburg was first mentioned in a document in 1153. This means it is older by 200 years than the castle of Neunussberg. Although quite small and suitable for the protection of only one family, the castle was of great importance as it was located on the trading path called Baierweg. The castle of Kollnburg was owned by many knight dynasties. One of the owners was the rebellious Hans of Kollnburg. As he had taken part in the Böckler rebellion in 1468, Duke Albrecht IV. of Bavaria destroyed parts of the castle in a revenge campaign. Only the donjon and the castle well have been preserved. Since 1895, the owner of the ruined castle is the “Bayerischer Wald-Vereins Sektion Viechtach e.V.”.

Open:
Summer time: 08:00 to 21:00
Winter time: 08:00 to 18:00

 

Castle Altnussberg

A sunken medieval place reawakening to life. In 1983, many archaeologists, engineers, construction workers and volunteers woke the ruined caste of Altnussberg from a sleep that had lasted for more than 500 years. In many years of hard work, they reconstructed parts of the impressive castle.

The castle of Altnussberg was built by order of the Count of Bogen between 1174 and 1194. It soon became the seat of the noble family of Nussberger and then was sold to the family of Degenberger. Hans von Degenberg was one of the leaders of the “Böcklerbund”, a league of knights of the Bavarian Forest that revolted against Duke Albrecht IV. of Bavaria in 1468. Albrecht made short shrift with the rebels and destroyed the castle of Altnussberg. In the course of the centuries, the ruins disappeared under a thick earth layer. Archaeologists discovered precious findings from the Middle Ages ranging from objects of daily use to war utensils. Today the exclusive findings are exhibited in the castle museum; it provides an interesting insight into life in the Middle Ages and a wonderful view over the panorama of the Bavarian Forest.

Open and accessible throughout the year.

Guided tours:
Thursdays at 16:00
The castle museum is open at the same time.

Further guided tours by arrangement with tourist information Geiersthal, phone 0049(0)9923/84150